Djivêye des foroms di Berdelaedjes Berdelaedjes
Forom di berdelaedjes e walon, so tot l' minme ké sudjet

FAQFAQ   CweriCweri   Djivêye des mimbesDjivêye des mimbes   Groupes d' uzeusGroupes d' uzeus   Si fé mimbeSi fé mimbe 
 ProfilProfil   Lére les messaedjes privésLére les messaedjes privés   S' elodjîS' elodjî 

Examples of dialect differences?

Sicrire on novea sudjet   Responde å sudjet    Djivêye des foroms di Berdelaedjes -> Dimandes di mots
Vey sudjet di dvant :: Vey sudjet shuvant  
Oteur Messaedje
slampereur

Date d' arivêye: 2023-06-05
Messaedjes: 10
Eplaeçmint: Wisconsin

MessaedjeDate: sem 29 djl, 2023 3:43:03    Sudjet: Examples of dialect differences? Responde tot citant

Recently someone here in Wisconsin discovered this site:

https://www.loecsen.com/en/learn-walloon

I was quick to note that this represents the Liege area/ Eastern dialect.
Natually, people asked how that differs from the Central dialect. Are there examples (ideally recordings) of the differences anywhere that I could point people to?
Rivni al copete
Vey li profil di l' uzeu Evoyî on messaedje privé
Èl-Gueuye-Noere

Date d' arivêye: 2019-05-13
Messaedjes: 186
Eplaeçmint: Tchålerwè

MessaedjeDate: sem 29 djl, 2023 16:06:47    Sudjet: Re: Examples of dialect differences? Responde tot citant

slampereur scrijha:
Recently someone here in Wisconsin discovered this site:

https://www.loecsen.com/en/learn-walloon

I was quick to note that this represents the Liege area/ Eastern dialect.
Natually, people asked how that differs from the Central dialect. Are there examples (ideally recordings) of the differences anywhere that I could point people to?

I don't speak the Central dialect, but the Western one. If you're interested, I can write all those sentences in my dialect, by means of, let's say, a "spontaneous phonological" spelling instead of using the rfondou spelling system.

The differences would, in fact, be more noticeable this way.
Pablo Saratxaga
Site Admin

Date d' arivêye: 2005-07-01
Messaedjes: 1156
Eplaeçmint: Oûpêye

MessaedjeDate: sem 29 djl, 2023 19:43:24    Sudjet: Responde tot citant

I only did first page, but that looks verey good!

A modern (interactive) learning method was a big missing piece; I'm glad to see it starts to hapen.

Yes, it is in eastern dialect (the picture showing in the banner is actually the Meuse (Mouze) riverside in the city of Liege (Lidje), I recognized the place Smile

As for the differences and equivalences (@Gueuye-Noere : dji pinse k' i dmande l' adire avou l' namurwès, paski c' est l' sôre di walon k' est djåzé e Wisonsene),

the writting is in "Feller" system, that notes quite troughly, the phonetic; which in your case doesn't help much, as it overemphasizes differences.

I think the best would be to start from a chart of the orthography of "rifondou", showing for each letter/group of letters that can have different values per dialect, the way it would be on each;
so you will then have the differences between Central and Eastern.

... however, after a quick search, I haven't found it in form of a chart (it sure exists, maybe someone will link to it).

So, here are some of the differences :

* the eastern writting "h" covers actually 4 things:
- rifondou "h" (not pronounced in central -- and as such often not written in Feller either)
- rifondou "jh" (pronounced "j" in central)
- rifondou "xh" (pronounced "ch" in central; xh is the unvoiced version of jh)
- rifondou "sch" (pronounced "sch" in central; sometimes in some words pronounced "sk" -- which is the western pronounciation)
* ending "-ê" is almost always rifondou "-ea" (pronounced "-ia" in central)
* a lot of "è" are what is written "ae" in rfondou (most often pronounced "a" in central); particularly the suffix "-èdje" ("-aedje" in rfondou; pronounced "-adje" in C)
* several "eû" are what is written "oe" in R (pronounced "wè" in C)
* "å" (written the same in R) is always pronounced like "ô" at Lidje ; in central is is also often "ô" (traditionally written "au"), but also some times "â"
* what is written "oen" in R is "on" (nazalized o) in E; but "win" (w+nazalized "e") in C. exemple "poenne" (sadness, sad/hurtful effort; fr:peine, es:pena) is "ponne" in E, and "pwinne" in C.
* what is written "oi" in R is "wè" in E and "wa" in C (same difference as with "ae"; the only thing is that "oi" has yet another pronouncition in western)
* préfix k(i)- in E, co- in central (eg: k(i)mincî vs comincî)
* participe/adjective ending -ou/-owe in E vs -u/-ûwe in C
* conjugation of 3d person plural (didn't show up in the sentences I looked at); eg: i volèt (E) vs i volnut (C) (=they want)

then there are also lexical diferences.
For example, the word given for "yes" is "awè"; while in C "oyi" is used instead.

And for the differences in the actual sentences...
Well, I'm quite surprized to see there ar eso few!!
There is a general "eastern-typed accent", but the actual phonemic differences are very few (in the sentences I looked at);
here are all the differences I can see until the sentence "Happy New Year"; that is for 24 sentences, :
* "awè" vs "oyi" (geographically prefered synonyms)
* "ponnes" vs "pwinnes" (dialectal phonetic difference)
* "acwérd" vs "acward"
* "kibén" vs "cobén"
* "disfindou" vs "disfindu"
* "wice" vs "eyou"/"ou" (I don't know exaclty which version is used in Wisonsin; the word "where")
Rivni al copete
Vey li profil di l' uzeu Evoyî on messaedje privé Evoyî èn emile Viziter l' waibe di l' uzeu Jabber
slampereur

Date d' arivêye: 2023-06-05
Messaedjes: 10
Eplaeçmint: Wisconsin

MessaedjeDate: lon 31 djl, 2023 21:59:05    Sudjet: Responde tot citant

Thanks for the info.
Rivni al copete
Vey li profil di l' uzeu Evoyî on messaedje privé
Èl-Gueuye-Noere

Date d' arivêye: 2019-05-13
Messaedjes: 186
Eplaeçmint: Tchålerwè

MessaedjeDate: lon 31 djl, 2023 22:36:44    Sudjet: Responde tot citant

Citåcion:

- rifondou "sch" (pronounced "sch" in central; sometimes in some words pronounced "sk" -- which is the western pronounciation)

Well, to be honest, there are exceptions concerning this pronunciation in the Western dialect. For instance, I pronounce the "sch" of the word "schoûter" like I do with the "xh" and "ch" combinations. However, I pronounce "aschoûter" the way you say. I have no idea why.
Mostrer les messaedjes des dierin(ne)s:   
Sicrire on novea sudjet   Responde å sudjet    Djivêye des foroms di Berdelaedjes -> Dimandes di mots Totes les eures sont a GMT + 2 eures
Pådje 1 so 1

Potchî a:  
Vos n' poloz nén enonder des noveas sudjets dins ç' forom ci
Vos n' poloz nén responde a des sudjets k' i gn a dins ç' forom ci
Vos n' poloz nén candjî vos messaedjes dins ç' forom ci
Vos n' poloz nén disfacer vos messaedjes dins ç' forom ci
Vos n' poloz nén vôter dins les ploncaedjes di ç' forom ci